Re: AM Report for Rens Houben <shadur@systemec.nl>

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 08:25:43PM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:
> As to why I want to volunteer my time... Well, basically nearly all I've
> learned and done has been thanks to open source projects. It's because of
> linux, debian and a large portion of what gets referred to as 'the Open
> Source Community' that I'm currently employed -- I've benefited greatly,
> and I've wanted to give something back for years now... And now I finally
> have something tangible to give back. That's basically it.

He's also most of the reason I got on Debian, via IRC. ;)

> Tasks & Skills
> --------------
>
> His advocate, Stephen Stafford  writes:
>
>    He worked with Danny Stone initially on trafstats (a package
>    which I will sponsor for him) and the package was very well done.  By
>    the time I looked at it there were only a couple of very minor niggles
>    (aesthetic rather than substantive) which he changed promptly.
>
> I also looked at trafstats, which is now sitting in the upload queue
> on pandora.  It is a fairly ambitious first package, requiring a fair
> bit of Debconf interaction and working with Postgres.  It was well
> done; there were a few problems with some of the more tricky bits of
> configuration, but we discussed these and it was clear that Rens
> understood my concern, came up with a fix and was going to implement
> the fix.

I think that Rens has done an excellent job with trafstats. I helped him
out with debconfage, etc, and he was really good with it. It may be
worth noting that he also had to overcome some internal company politics
to get trafstats GPLed (he is also upstream).

As Sam says, it's definitely not a simple package. There's a lot of
Debconf interaction, and it works extensively with PostgreSQL.

:) d

--
Daniel Stone						    <daniel@sfarc.net>
<Overfiend> OH, COME ON, LET ME FLAME THE FUCKER