AM report on Colin Walters

===========================

Conclusion:
-----------

I recommend that Colin becomes a Debian developer.

Applicant info:
---------------

Name:	         Colin Walters
Current email:   walters@verbum.org
Preferred email: walters@debian.org

Background:
-----------
Colin wrote me:

 > I'm from Columbus, Ohio.  I currently work as a student programmer at
 > the Ohio State University's Department of Computer and Information
 > Science.
 >
 > I originally got interested in Debian after feeling a great deal of
 > frustration with my Red Hat system.  I tried it, and there was no
 > turning back :)
 >
 > I'd like to join Debian as a developer so I can help out more easily.

Identification:
---------------

Colin provided me with the following gpg key:

pub  1024D/9B936C95 2001-06-12 Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org>
sig!       9B936C95 2001-08-22  Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org>
uid                            Colin Walters <walters@cis.ohio-state.edu>
sig!       9B936C95 2001-06-12  Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org>
sig!       700A0551 2001-06-14  Evan Prodromou (GLUG) <evan@glug.org>
sig?       34984B9C 2001-06-15
sig!       E0A38377 2001-06-22  Daniel Jacobowitz <dmj+@andrew.cmu.edu>
sub  1024g/B31AC9BB 2001-06-12
sig!       9B936C95 2001-06-12  Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org>

It is signed by Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>.

Identification check passed.

Policy and procedures:
----------------------
Colin agrees to follow the DSC, the DFSG and the DMUP. The answers he
gave me to the questions I asked him about these documents show that he
really knows what they are about and what their implications are. His
knowledge about Debian procedures is also accurate.

Policy and procedures check passed.

Tasks and Skills:
-----------------
Colin already has done some packaging. He wrote me:

 > The main work that I want to do is on the "calc" package, which was
 > orphaned.  I took the package, fixed all remaining bugs in it, and I
 > also patched it so it will work on both emacs20 and emacs21.  See:
 >
 > http://verbum.org/~walters/debian/sid
 >
 > Another package I plan to upload is gpmudmon-applet, available at the
 > same location.

I took a look at these packages. They are well packaged and are (almost)
lintian clean.  I also asked Adriak Bunk <bunk@debian.org>, who has
sponsored him, about Colin's packaging skills. He wrote me that he is
generally satisfied with the uqality of Colin's packages?

Colin has also contributed to the boot-floppies (basedebs.tgz support).
Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net>, who committed Colin's changes, is
very positive about Colin's patches.

Finally, Colin is planning to help with the PowerPC port.

Tasks and skills check passed.

--
Kind regards,
| Bas Zoetekouw                  | Si l'on sait exactement ce   |

Bas Zoetekouw <bas@A-Eskwadraat.nl> writes:

> Yeah, that's ok.

Ok, cool.

> Are you already subscribed to debian-devel or other debian
> mailinglists?

I'm subscribed to almost every Debian list :)

> Furthermore, we'll have to discuss some Debian philosophy. Have you read
> the Debian Social Contract, the Debian Free Software Guidelines
> (http://www.debian.org/social_contract)?  Do you agree to follow those
> in your Debian-related work?

I've read them, and I agree with them wholeheartedly.

> If you are accepted as a Debian developer, you will get accounts on
> the Debian machines. Do you agree to follow the Debian Machine Usage
> Policy (http://www.debian.org/devel/dmup)?

I agree.

> To check that you have read the Social Contract and the DFSG and
> that you understand them, I'll ask you a few questions about these
> documents.
>
> Firstly, can you explain the key points of the Social Contract and
> DFSG in your own words?

The Debian Free Software Guidelines basically describe what the
criteria for being a part of Debian is; free software.  Only packages
which satisfy these guidelines are considered for inclusion into
Debian proper ("main").  Other packages might be included in "contrib"
or "non-free", but these are not parts of Debian itself.

The Social Contract describes the principles behind the Debian
_organization_ itself; how it accomplishes its goals of producing a
free operating system.

> Secondly, a few questions, based on them:
>
> (1) Do you know (and can you explain) the difference between free speech
>     and free beer?  Is Debian mainly about free speech or free beer?

The "free speech" vs "free beer" distinction is the same as the one
versus "gratis" and "libre" in French.  The former means "at no
cost".  The latter means "freedom".  Debian is about free speech.

> (2) Donald Knuth, author of TeX, insists that no one has the right
> to modify the source code of TeX, and that any changes must be made
> using "change files" (a sort of patch file).  Furthermore, any
> modification of TeX which produces something which fails the "trip
> test" (a regression test suite) may not be called TeX.  So how come
> TeX (in the guise of tetex-*) is in main?

These restrictions are explicitly allowed by section 4 of the DFSG.
That being said though, it's an ugly license.

> (3) The e-mail client pine is in non-free.  Can you tell me the
> difference between main, contrib and non-free?  Do you know what's
> wrong with Pine's current license in regard to the DFSG?

Main is composed of software which satisfies the DFSG, and depends
only on other software in main.  Contrib is composed of DFSG software,
but it depends on non-free software (such as Sun's JDK).  non-free is
just that; non-free, proprietary software that is distributed by
Debian.

Pine's license last I heard didn't allow modification *and*
redistribution.

> (4) What is Debian's (current) approach to non-free software?  Why?

A fairly permissive one.  As per section 5 of the Social Contract, the
Debian project supports the use of non-free software on Debian
systems, and even distributes non-free software itself.  Why is a good
question; I personally feel Debian shouldn't.  This decision was made
a long time ago, when there were really no replacements for
proprietary software like netscape (now we have Mozilla).

> (5) Debian was offered a Debian-specific license to package a
> certain piece of software (I forget which).  Would we put it in
> main?

No, it fails DFSG section 8.

> (6) At http://people.debian.org/~wolfie/mpg123_copyright you can
> find the license of mpg123.  Can you tell me why this program is
> non-free according to the DFSG?

It can't be sold for profit; this fails section 1 of the DFSG.

> Furthermore, I have some questions about certain Debian procedures.
>
> (1) Can explain in your own words what a NMU is? What is the correct
>     procedure when you want to do an NMU?

A non-maintainer upload.  The correct procedure is to file a bug
report with a patch.  If there is no response, then it is acceptable
to NMU.

> (2) Can you tell me three different ways to close a bug in the BTS? What
>     is the preferred way?

Two are via email:

echo nnnnn-close | mail -s 'close nnnnn' control@bugs.debian.org
mail -s nnnnn-done@bugs.debian.org < /dev/null

And one is by placing a (Closes: #nnnnn) in the changelog for a
package.

> (3) What would you do if a bug was reported against your package and
> you are not able to fix it yourself?

Ask for help on -devel or -mentors.

> (4) You've just heard about this great program and you would like to
> package it. What would you do?

Check to be sure it's not already a part of Debian.  Then, check the
license file to be sure it satisfies the DFSG.  Finally, I would file
a wishlist bug against the "wnpp" package, with a title of "ITP".

> (5) Do you know what 'lintian' is?  Why is it useful?

lintian is the automated policy checker for Debian packages.  It's
useful because it can find a huge number of bugs in packages.

> (6) What does version 3.4-2.1 mean? What Debian control file would
> you put this in?

The version would be placed in the changelog.  I think that version
means it's version 3.4 of the upstream package, and the debian
revision is -2 (meaning it's the second maintainer upload).  The .1
means it's a source NMU, I believe?

> (7) You have a package in contrib, why would it have to go there?
> What could you do (in theory at least) to get it into main?

It depends on non-free software.  To get it into main, one would have
to remove the dependency on non-free software.

> (8) If you had a file in your package which usually gets changed by
> a user for local settings, how would you make sure your next version
> of the package doesn't overwrite it?

Flag it as a "conffile".

> (9) What would you do if you wanted to retire from the project and
> let other developers maintain your packages?

I'd follow section 3.7 of the Developer's reference.

Wow, those were good questions :)

From erbenson@alaska.net Tue Sep 04 13:07:23 2001