AM Report for Sjoerd Simons

Maintainer.

Identification
--------------

Sjoerd provided the following GPG key (attached):

pub  1024D/8768B1D2 2000-12-14 Sjoerd Simons <sjoerd@luon.net>
sig!       8768B1D2 2000-12-14  Sjoerd Simons <sjoerd@luon.net>
sig!       50064181 2001-05-18  Paul van Tilburg <paul@donald-duck.ele.tue.nl>
uid                            Sjoerd Simons <sjoerd@air.luon.net>
sig!       8768B1D2 2000-12-14  Sjoerd Simons <sjoerd@luon.net>
sig!       50064181 2001-05-18  Paul van Tilburg <paul@donald-duck.ele.tue.nl>
sub  1024g/58A0810B 2000-12-14
sig!       8768B1D2 2000-12-14  Sjoerd Simons <sjoerd@luon.net>

It is signed by Paul van Tilburg, a debian developer, whose
fingerprint matches what is held in db.debian.org.

Identification Check Passed

Policy and Procedures
---------------------

Sjoerd and I discussed the Social Contract and the DFSG. He
demonstrated to me that he understands the principles and extent of
these documents, and that he is aware of the responsibilities of a
debian maintainer. He also explicitly agreed to abide by the DMUP. He
also answered some questions on copyrights and licenses to my
satisfaction.

Policy and Procedures Check Passed

Tasks and Skills
----------------

Sjoerd wants to do some packaging as a debian developer. He already
has two sponsored packages in debian - gkrellm-volume (a gkrellm
plugin that controls your mixer) and gkrellm-mailwatch (a plugin that
watches multiple mailboxes for new mail). He is the upstream author of
both packages. These are small packages, but they were lintian clean.
An Thi-Nguyen Le is his advocate, and she had this to say of
Sjoerd:

<quote>

I've been sponsoring him for a while now, for the packages gkrellm-mailwatch
and gkrellm-volume.  The first time I sponsored him, there were a few little
errors here and there -- nothing major.  After I told him about them, he
fixed them, and afterwards his packages have been error-free.  These are
rather simple packages, though.  He's been very cooperative, and very timely
with telling me of updates and new packages, even if I haven't been as timely
in checking and uploading them.  I think he would learn quickly in packaging
more complicated programs, and I think a more complicated package would be
something to consider for whatchamacallit, his task for his application.

</quote>

Browsing his upstream source I feel that he demonstrates adequate
skills in coding. I asked Sjoerd what drew him to linux and debian. He
says he has been using linux for the past 2.5 years, and debian for
1.5 years. What attracted him most to debian were the adaptability of
the system, the debian philosophy, the package management system, and
the prospect of being able to join and contribute.

All in all, I think Sjoerd shows the skills and the experience
necessary to be a debian developer and will make a good addition to
the debian developer community.

Gopal.

--
Gopal Narayanan <gopal@debian.org> <gopal@astro.umass.edu>