Re: GPG USAGE HOWTO 1 (was: Re: AM report on Thierry Bourrillon)

Hi Ralf!

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Ralf Treinen wrote:

> If I sign a key I confirm the fact that the person with the name on
> the key has claimed to me that the key is his. IMHO my signature on
> the key does not confirm that the person is owner of the mailbox.
> Am I right?

When I sign a key I confirm than
 o  a person showing me a photo ID (passport, etc..) has claimed that
    this key (with fingerprint etc) is their key,
 o  the Name on the photo ID matches the name on the key user id
 o  the person can receive and read mail at all mailboxes I sign.

I used to check whether the person actually owns the secret key too
but don't do this any longer.

					yours,
					peter
    messages preferred.    | : :' :    By professionals,