AM report on James Bromberger

=============================

Identity:
---------
James' key is signed by debian members Mikolaj J. Habryn,
Craig Sanders and Brendon O'Dea.

% gpg --check-sigs bromberger
pub  1024D/0917A9E4 2000-12-31 James Bromberger <james@rcpt.to>
sig!       0917A9E4 2000-12-31  James Bromberger <james@rcpt.to>
sig?       43E98567 2000-12-31
sig!       1E699EAD 2001-01-08  Mikolaj J. Habryn - Debian <dichro-debian@rcpt.to>
sig?       6E3E388D 2001-01-08
sig!       A9E4AFF2 2001-01-20  Brendan O'Dea <bod@compusol.com.au>
sig?       F8885809 2001-01-20
sig!       0FD60A55 2001-01-21  Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au>
sig?       CD5626F0 2001-01-21
sig?       CAF1DFBD 2001-01-21
sig?       757465BC 2001-01-22
sig?       A62C2C22 2001-01-22
uid                            James Bromberger <james@pelicanmanufacturing.com.au>
sig!       0917A9E4 2000-12-31  James Bromberger <james@rcpt.to>
sig!       A9E4AFF2 2001-01-20  Brendan O'Dea <bod@compusol.com.au>
sig?       F8885809 2001-01-20
sig!       0FD60A55 2001-01-21  Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au>
sig?       CD5626F0 2001-01-21
sig?       CAF1DFBD 2001-01-21
sig?       757465BC 2001-01-22
sig?       A62C2C22 2001-01-22
sub  2048g/AEF2A28B 2000-12-31
sig!       0917A9E4 2000-12-31  James Bromberger <james@rcpt.to>

ID check passed.

Policy and Procedures
---------------------

Here is how James summarized our philosphy:

  The Debian Free Software Guidelines serve to outline the mission and
  goal of the Debian project. It attempts to completely unencumber the
  entire main tree as far as is possble with regards to international
  patent and copyright law, to give maximum benefit to the community at
  large, and at the same time, give recognition to those that
  contribute. It aims to not focus Open Source software to be a part of
  Debian, but for Debian to be a part of Open Source. In being free in
  sence of monetary cost and access to complete unrestricted source
  code, the DFSG enables the entire distribution to be transparent,
  accountable, complete, and educational, with no regards to political
  persuasion or agenda.

  DSFG is a unifying statement combining a number of compatible common
  public liences that comply to this standard of openness, such as Apache,
  Artistic, and GPL. Debian fulfuls the role as a GNU Linux distribution
  due to this very nature.

I then discussed with James my favourite example of free and non-free
licences. He correctly identified the problems with the non-free
licence. I then discussed with him the case of a software that has
some parts under LGPL and some parts under QPL and he correctly
found that this licence is DFSG-free.

James has declared that he abides by the DFSG and the DMUP.

P&P check passed.

Tasks and Skills
----------------

James is packaging libapache-mod-backhand, a load balancing module
for the apache server. The package is lintian-clean and fine as far
as I can tell. Raphaël Hertzog is sponsoring James. Raphaël said
"I think that he has proven that he can be a good Debian maintainer."

The package is not yet uploaded to unstable. One reason is that it is
not completely clear whether the licence is free. On my request
James submitted the question to debian-devel which was the starting
point of some discussion (see the debian-legal archives). The
other reason is that James whishes to have his package first tested by
libapache-mod-backhand users (there seems to be a user community
with its own mailinglist).

T&S checked passed.

Evaluation and check in

I'm glad to recommend James as a new member of debian.

Login, from most prefered to least:
	1)	jeb@debian.org
	2)	jamesb@debian.org

Mail forward to  james@rcpt.to