Re: [Fwd: [RFC] Making NM 'by recommendation']

* Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk> [20010128 14:39]:
> [Suggestion, should we go along the recommendation route: that anyone
> whose name appears as maintainer of a package should automatically be
> able to apply to the NM process with no other need for
> recommendation.]

Sounds like a good idea first, but I don't think it would work.

If we let sponsored people apply themselves, it would be fair to let
people working on boot-floppies, a port or on the web pages do so as
well.  In the end, everyone wants to apply himself again...

And while it's easy to parse the Maintainer: field for sponsored
people, we cannot easily check people working on boot-floppies et al.

Finally, I think if someone is willing to sponsor another person, he
is certainly also willing to take 2 minutes and fill out a web form.

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com