Re: RFC: Changing the NM system

> > When reading it you see that writing a single manual page is enough for
> > passing the current "Tasks & Skills" check to become a Debian developer.
> > Sorry, but I can't resist calling this kind of skills check a joke!
>
> Ahem, I have seen Chuan-kai's packaging and bug-fixing skills.  Chuan-kai
> didn't only translate web pages.
>
> Or perhaps you weren't referring to the my check of Chuan-kai's skill as a
> "joke".  Nonetheless, I see two ideals at work here, and finding the balance

I asked Chuan-kai what he meant with "it is the system that needs to
change" and I explained what I want to get changed. Sorry if this was
ambiguous, but I didn't wanted to judge about your skills check of
Chuan-kai in this sentence, it was a general remark about the NM system.

> may be difficult:
>
>   1. Raising the NM entry requirement in order to improve Debian's quality.
>      Which is a very good thing.
>
>   2. Raising the threshold too high, or even just the perceived notion,
>      whether justified or not, that many NMs are unskilled, could make
>      Debian more and more like an elitist society.
>
> I am quite satisfied with the current NM process.  Of course, there is
> always room for improvement, and hence the recent discussions.  Ensuring the
> new maintainer possesses sufficient skills is a good thing, but we must be
> careful not to overdo it.

I agree with this sentence. I'm not 100% satisfied with the current NM
process but I see there won't be a consensus for my proposal. All I want
to achieve is to get a sufficient skills check.

> As for me, I am just glad that I became a Debian developer over 3 years ago,
> long before this was even an issue.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Anthony

cu,