Re: RFC: Changing the NM system

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, Christian Kurz wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Christian,

> > package this is sometimes enough to pass the "Tasks & Skills" test (e.g.
>
> Well, do yo have some other examples too? I think one example is nice,
> but some others would be good to have.

E.g.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint-discuss-0011/msg00018.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint-discuss-0012/msg00088.html

Please note: I don't say that these applicants shouldn't become Debian
developers at all. I do only doubt they are already skilled enough.

> > - A developer can make an upload for every single package in Debian.
> >   We trust him that he doesn't do any harm.
>
> Do you want a system where you can only upload packages where you are
> the Maintainer? This would make it hard to do bugfixes and NMUs, if the
> maintainer went MIA.

No, I don't intend to change this. My point is: Someone who has a Debian
account can do much harm (intentional or accidential). That's a reason why
I think we should have a severe look at the work of an applicant before he
gets an account.

> > I suggest the following instead (important is the general idea, not the
> > exact details):
> > Someone starts working for Debian (e.g. by maintaining packages or helping
> > at a port). After some months his sponsor, one of the port maintainers,...
> > (or wherever the applicant participates in Debian) says that he does good
> > work (e.g. high quality packages, quick reaction at bug reports,...) and
>
> Well, I think this should be also based on the decision of the person
> itself and not only be a decision of the sponsor. They both should make

That's clear (and covered by "not the exact details").

> this decision. But then you need to make sure that the sponsors have a
> good knowledge about the debian build system and are qualified to make a
> judgement about a package.

That's one reason why I suggest the following:

> > suggests to the NM team that he should become a Debian account. The NM
> > team (perhaps the current NM-Committee plus other interested Debian
> > developers) then looks critical at the work of the applicant, makes a
> > "Philosophy and Procedures" check,... and discusses and decides whether
> > the applicant will be a valuable gain for the project.
>
> Interesting idea.
> Ciao
>      Christian

cu,