Re: task & skills

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 01:51:21AM +0000, James Troup wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a reminder (? hopefully); if an applicant is joining Debian as a
> packager, he must have a package ready to adopt, package whatever.  It

Then this should be part of the documented stuff on the website.

I don't understand why though. You don't ask for complete documented
and/or revisions from those who want to be documentors.

> doesn't have to be ready to upload the instant he becomes a
> maintainer, but he must at least be working on a specific package.

Why does this matter at all?

> I'm not going to accept (or spend time on) applicants who are going to
> maybe package something at some unspecified date in the future.

Why not? I was accepted and it was 16 months before I uploaded my
first package. Not everyone can be like Joey Hess or Adrian Bridgett.

> Any applicants who do get past to the DAM like this will not get
> approved but simply be put on hold until they do have something
> packaged (at which point, they will be returned to their AM for T&S
> re-evaluation).

Again, why. You've stated what you will do but not why.

> If this upsets anyone greatly, now would be a good time to shout.

Yes, this upsets me. (Why the rest of the AMs aren't up in arms
is a worry).

You seem to want to continually throw extra hurdles in the way of
potential maintainers. We are not even close to packaging all
the new and interesting free software yet.

Sourceforge containers, I hear, about 30000 projects. Debian has
only 10% packaged [0]. We have a long way to go.

The new maintainer has been slow for a long time (and it still is
backlogged -- unfortunately the conference is a lot more work than
I imagined) I don't think we need to slow it down further.

Regards,
Anand

[0]: http://www.debian.gr.jp/~kitame/maint.rhtml

--
Linux.Conf.Au			--		http://linux.conf.au/
17th - 20th January, 		--		Alan Cox, David Miller,