AM report for Sam Hartman

[ This is my first report, please point to me
anything that I'm doing wrong ]

Identification
--------------

Sam provided me with his gpg key signed by Gregory Stark:

pub  1024D/3C86260F 2000-09-25 Sam Hartman <hartmans@mit.edu>
sig        3C86260F 2000-09-25  Sam Hartman <hartmans@mit.edu>
sig        5DE4A8AD 2000-09-25  Gregory Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>
uid                            Sam Hartman (DSA) <hartmans@mit.edu>
sig        3C86260F 2000-09-25  Sam Hartman <hartmans@mit.edu>
sub  1024g/0C672AA8 2000-09-25 [expires: 2002-09-25]
sig        3C86260F 2000-09-25  Sam Hartman <hartmans@mit.edu>

Philosophy and Procedures
-------------------------

Sam met with me on IRC, where we discussed the principles of Free Software,
the DFSG and the Social Contract. He was able to identify some DFSG-approved
licenses and the reason for their approval (TeX license, for example),
non-free licenses like Qmail and the meaning of the contrib section. He also
explained the differences between different licensing terms like
"shareware", "freeware" or the difference between "free speech" and "free
beer".
He's been interested in free software for a long time now, and that's the
basic reason for wanting to join Debian.

Tasks and Skills
----------------

I looked at one of the packages he is maintaining outside (still) of Debian,
openafs. Openafs is not a trivial package, it involves building kernel
modules, client, server and library separate packages. The package is very
well done, and I only found some small problems, most of them pointed out by
lintian. Openafs had problems to be build in Potato, and Sam was able to
work-around them perfectly.

Recommendation

I strongly recommend that Sam is accepted as a Debian member.

Jordi

--
Jordi Mallach Pérez || jordi@pusa.informat.uv.es || Rediscovering Freedom,
   aka Oskuro in    || jordi@sindominio.net      || Using Debian GNU/Linux

http://sindominio.net  GnuPG public information:      pub  1024D/917A225E
telnet pusa.uv.es 23   73ED 4244 FD43 5886 20AC  2644 2584 94BA 917A 225E