Re: Weakly Report

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 06:38:14PM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> I think it would be good if people could submit thee key somewhere
> either before applying, or whilst in the queue.

I think this could be stated in the checklist portion of the
new-maintainer's corner website. Applicants should be encouraged to
get their gpg key signed or photo ID scanned *well before* an AM is
assigned to them to help speed up the process.

> I dont think sponsoring would help to speed up proving ones skill, as it
> still requires someone to verify, so its just going to shift the same
> bottleneck somewhere else.

I disagree. Having had their package sponsored and uploaded implies
that another debian developer has already spent time looking over the
package in detail. As a sponsor, I always scrutinize packages that I
sponsor in more detail than my own packages. As an AM, while I still
check the applicant's sponsored package over, I do spend less time on
a sponsored package.

A lot of applicants complain about the delay in the NM-process, but I
think a big part of the delay lies in the tardiness of some of the
applicants themselves. If more AMs resort to putting very slow
applicants on hold, that could speed up the process a bit.

Gopal.

--
Gopal Narayanan <gopal@debian.org> <gopal@astro.umass.edu>
Debian GNU/Linux Developer