Re: Problem application

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 09:16:15AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> But I'm the one with the applicant, not the DAM. If I want the DAM to deal
> with it, I must process the application. I'm not willing to do that with
> this applicant.
>
> There are several questions here that need discussion.
>
> 1. Should the AM keep the name of the applicant confidential?

In cases like this, I believe so.  We can otherwise be accused of
publishing defametory material about people; remember that this list
is archived.

> 2. Should the AM present the "evidence" to the group, or simply decide on
>    his own?
>
> 3. If the AM is to make this decission on their own, what is the level of
>    "slime" required to reject the applicant?
>
> I'm not willing to contact this applicant until I know how do deal with
> him.
>
> I suggest that the first contact be one that tells the applicant that
> there are "charges" against them, allowing them to defend themselves from
> individuals who are just trying to make trouble for them.
>
> I'm not expecting us to seek out such information, but when it comes our
> way, we _must_ act on that knowledge and not simply pawn the problem off
> on the DAM.

I think that we must remember that our task is essentially to do the
initial fact-finding/data-gathering/question-asking on behalf of the
DAMs.  While our opinions are respected by the DAMs, it is important
to remember that *they* are the delegates of the DPL, not us.  When it
comes to something unusual like this, I think the only sensible thing
to do is to speak with the DAMs before speaking with the applicant,
and only proceeding to communicate with the applicant after the DAMs
have given their views.  I really don't see it as "pawning the problem
off"; after all, this is a rare occurrence (the first time in how many
applicants?), and no matter what we decide, the DAMs have the ultimate
say.  So in such a case, we may as well ask their opinion before we
waste our time interviewing the applicant.  We should keep our efforts
focussed on our primary goal: getting the remaining hundred applicants
though the process.

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg