Re: debian-multimedia: wiki question

Hi,

On 19/02/18 02:02, Toerless Eckert wrote:
> I am quite new to debian and still try to figure out its packaging
> scatter/gather mechanisms.
>
> I was trying to figure out how to get a multimedia software package
> installed but could not find a good web/wiki page explaining where to
> even find the package.
>
> Finally, i ended up on https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia
> but that does not seem to address novice users but rather looks like an
> inside baseball wiki for developers/packagers.
>
> If that wiki page is meant to also address users like myself, it would
> be great if if the first bullet point could address questions such as:
>
> 1. How to list and search packages in Debian Multimedia on the web.

The links are on that page, although maybe they're not labeled in the
best way for new users.

This page lists all the packages maintained by the team:
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=debian-multimedia@lists.debian.org

The multimedia pure blend has a list of multimedia packages:
https://blends.debian.org/multimedia/tasks/

These pages approximately lists the multimedia packages in all of Debian:
https://packages.debian.org/stable/sound/
https://packages.debian.org/stable/video/

> 2. How to add Debian Multimedia to your system.

I'm not sure I understand your question exactly. If you want to install
some multimedia packages, there is no need to "add Debian Multimedia" -
you should be able to install packages out-of-the-box with apt-get as
usual. If you want to install lots of multimedia packages at once, some
of the pure blend meta-packages might help.

James