Re: Presentation + A debian-based for audio creation and production, stage technics and video blend (or "the future of TangoStudio")

På Mon, 12 Nov 2012 12:26:14 +0100, skrev Reinhard Tartler <siretart@gmail.com>:

Ok, assuming that the "wizard" is launched by the user,
thus the user being motivated and interested...

Things that I imagine that this wizard could do would include:

 *  "The pulseaudio seems to be running.

Trigger warning: "(foo) seems to (bar)" brings back unfond
memory of a reviled animated paperclip.  But I digress...

This can cause the following
problems <...> do you want to a) disable pulseaudio in your user
profile, b) remove it from your system c) do nothing

Removing it likely causes problems to.  That's why this choice
is shoved into the user's lap in the first place.  You have to
CHOOSE between the high-end realm of Jack or the mainstream realm
of Pulse, because they just won't play ball with each other.

The way your suggestion is framed, the user has to add the implied
"... and see if something bad happens" in his mind.  That would be
fine and dandy if there was an "undo" feature AND if the problems
would always be obvious and occur immediately.  Alas, neither is
the case, so this action falls way outside the GUI comfort zone.

At least _present_ the consequences, and ideally _resolve_ them.
Hard problem, I know.  Isn't that what developers are for? ;-)

 * "Your Gnome System Menu is missing the following entries. Do you
want to add them?"
 * "We recommend installing the following applications: <app> <purpose>"
 * "You are not running a -rt kernel: do you want to install and reboot?"
 * "Your system needs special configuration to reduce the system
latency, do you want me to do the following changes to /etc/...?"

These choices seem less fraught with dire consequences,
so they look fine to me.

--
Herman Robak