Re: Presentation + A debian-based for audio creation and production, stage technics and video blend (or "the future of TangoStudio")

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Herman Robak <herman@skolelinux.no> wrote:
> På Mon, 12 Nov 2012 12:26:14 +0100, skrev Reinhard Tartler
> <siretart@gmail.com>:

>>> We discussed the option of having conflicts in metapackages several
>>> times.  If I remember correctly the main drawback is that users who
>>> really really want to have pulseaudio need to deinstall the metapackage
>>> which is not always what you want.
>>

>> TBH, I do not think that a conflicts in the meta package is the right
>> technical solution.
>>
>> What you want here is to provide the users the best technical
>> environment to get his work done. I think a much better solution would
>> be a something like a wizard that examines your system installation,
>> educates the user about the findings, and then does specific
>> recommendations (ideally with "fix this" buttons to just do so).
>

> And before we re-read Reinhard's suggestions below,
> I suggest we (re)read an article from Joel on Software: "Choices"
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000059.html

nice essay, but i don't think it really applies here.

>> Things that I imagine that this wizard could do would include:
>>
>>  *  "The pulseaudio seems to be running. This can cause the following
>> problems <...> do you want to a) disable pulseaudio in your user
>> profile, b) remove it from your system c) do nothing
>>  * "Your Gnome System Menu is missing the following entries. Do you
>> want to add them?"
>>  * "We recommend installing the following applications: <app> <purpose>"
>>  * "You are not running a -rt kernel: do you want to install and reboot?"
>>  * "Your system needs special configuration to reduce the system
>> latency, do you want me to do the following changes to /etc/...?"
>

> The problem with wizards is that they come out of the blue,
> as a diversion to the task that the user is about to perform.
> Often, they occur _before_ the user even knows enough to see
> the relevance, or understand the implications.  And the wizard
> is expected to teleport an ill-motivated user from totally
> oblivious to fully informed.  That's a tall order!

that depends on how it is integrated.

I guess that you object naming the tool 'wizard', possibly because
there are many ill-designed wizard-tools on windows. Let's make a
better one.

> The wizard is a way of delegating choice to an unwilling,
> oblivious or indifferent user.  And the primary excuse for
> doing so appears to be that NOT doing so would cause some
> complaints, because you can't please everyone.  Well, tough,
> neither can the wizard.
>
> This is a dilemma, I know.  There is no universal solution to this.
> I used to like options, lots of them.  In the 1990s I had pretty
> funky WM setups.  For each new computer and each new OS install,
> they lost some of their allure.

Again, I was thinking more about something like the powertop
recommendations than to the windows-style installation wizards.

--
regards,
    Reinhard