Re: Debian Multimedia (Unofficial) Promotion

Am 15.04.2012 21:23, schrieb Eric Valette:
Thanks for the pointers. However:
[1] only gives the reasons for the fork by one of the main libav
developers,

As he is also one of the most active libav maintainers in Debian, it's a natural choice to follow his route for the Debian packages as well.

[2] suffer almost the same bias except it acknowledge that ffmpeg is
somehow going faster

More commits and releases do not necessarily mean better code.

I prefer to trust facts than biased views. We will probably see the
result in a year or two but damage will be done. I happily only use
ffmpeg and cannot seriously comment on libav.

Sorry, but you'll have to find out these "facts" by yourself. So far, I have not experienced any problem with libav and do not feel to miss anything from ffmpeg.

As for as codec/feature information is, I guess the "--enable-gpl" and
"--enable-nonfree" that exist in ffmpeg have impacts that could also
be documented.

They are shortly documented in debian/confflags, exactly where these flags are enabled (or not, in case of --enable-nonfree). Or what else do you mean?

 - Fabian