Re: List of required packages.

On Fri, September 7, 2012 1:57 pm, Felipe Sateler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Weaver <weaver@riseup.net> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have always had a problem getting video to work on Debian.
>>
>> I run Unstable, with all the multimedia urls in /etc/apt/sources.list.
>> I have installed all recommended packages, including libdvdcss2, with no
>> joy.
>>
>> I've Googled till my eyes are out of my head.
>>
>> I've been to the Debian-Multimedia site, but can find no recommended
>> list
>> of packages. I have no more luck with Mplayer or Mplayer2 than I have
>> with
>> any of the players.
>>
>> As an idea to what might be missing, using GXine, by opening the file
>> manager and selecting specific packages, I can get them to play - audio
>> only.
>
> The debian multimedia team is not related to that site, and using it
> can cause breakage in your computer. Please remove that site from your
> sources.list, and remove all the packages coming from there,
> installing the debian versions.

Ummm, there are no 'Debian Versionjs' of libdvdcss2, or a number of other
necessary packages.

 However, in order to help we are going
> to need more information:
>
> 1. What sort of videos? DVDs?

HD DVDs.

 Downloaded videos from internet? Youtube?

This is not a problem.
Standard browser plug-ins take care of those, but different packages, like
ligdata take care of those.
All gstreamer packages are installed also. It's just the DVD scenario
presenting problems.

> 2. What output do you get from the video players when trying to play them?

A few different ones that turn up on a regular basis, relating to the
demuxer  and plug-in deficits, which is why I am enquiring for a list of
required packages.

The rest is easy....for anyone.
Regards,

Weaver.

--
"The truth is, there is no Islamic army or terrorist group called Al
Qaida. And any informed intelligence officer knows this. But there is a