Re: Debian Multimedia (Unofficial) Promotion

Le 17/03/2012 14:43, Chris S. a écrit :

On 03/17/2012 01:34 AM, Christian Marillat wrote:
"Chris S."<cs.swenson@gmail.com>  writes:

As a new Debian user, I believe I read the following document about
multimedia codes:

http://wiki.debian.org/MultimediaCodecs

However, as noted on the following two pages, Debian does not appear to
approve of www.debian-multimedia.org:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/FAQ#Common_issues
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=70719&f=13

So why would the first page about codecs instruct users to add the
www.debian-multimedia.org repository? Shouldn't this be avoided?
Shouldn't Debian communicate the contrary on all pages?
Instead of saying that, the best would be to report this sort of problem
to me or in that list.

http://www.debian-multimedia.org/lurker/list/dmo-discussion.en.html

FYI, like 15000 users (who uses my repository daily), I don't see any
problem between these packages and Debian ones.

Also isn't really nice for a newbie to ask that. Maybe you don't
understand how Debian packaging works.

Christian
Christian,

I have literally spent weeks trying to figure out why I couldn't install
VLC and other packages, and it boiled down to packages from
debian-multimedia.org conflicting with gnome and many other packages.
Given that this environment is labeled "stable", I think this behavior
is contradictory to the spirit of stability (especially for poor newbies
like me).

Further, there is little documentation out there pointing to the
debian-multimedia.org repository as the source of the problem. I was
near the point of re-installing Debian from scratch to solve this
problem, since debian-multimedia.org created conflicts with so many
packages.

So I firmly believe that debian-multimedia.org is not stable, and it
would help the Debian community to tell new users not to use it in order
to avoid frustrating them to the point of leaving the OS. (Those who are
using it must be using SID or Ubuntu. Otherwise, they don't yet know
about all the conflicts they have.) I would think we have an interest in
maintaining the user base.
Again, the following is only an humble user advice :

Debian multimedia have never been told as a stable repo. People it's not official repo what are you waiting here ? UNofficial repository, isn't all the story expressed in that term ?

Sorry Sthu and others here, but WE users have to face it : there's a stable branch in Debian, these days called Wheezy. Anyone can install it and have a STABLE system. No one can deny it.

But there is ONLY ONE stable branch in Debian... Any move in another
direction/repo/compile-from-home COULD f*** your system, it's written on the wall in many man-help-wiki-and so on-stuff : "unless you don't know what you do", get it now ?

Sorry to be cash/free-spoken so much, be sure I don't want to be injurious, it's Peaceful here, and
the only point is Freedom, OK ?

Of course, it's the boring side of GPL _if you're from a certain world where you buy things SUPPOSED to
work in a plug and play !

Yes People, Freedom have a price. But that price doesn't cost any money... That price could make every 1 of us better in the set and use each computer, it's just another approach ! And yes, it takes a little time and personal investment, many web searches and some frustration sometime (or not)))

Let me sign : the buddy that have made at least 20 re-install before understand how it works,
and wish you good luck !

Remember the goal : give People fish VS learn People fishing

Have fun with GPL, do what you like to with the rest ;

Fred

PS & NB : Christian Marillats' advice is welcomed, si tu le juge nécessaire et souhaitable bien sur !