Re: Multimedia Teams in Debian

Reinhard Tartler wrote:
Felipe Sateler <fsateler@gmail.com> writes:

If the debian-multimedia team is indeed dead, we should avoid setting it
in the maintainer field of any package. Nobody is served with
unreachable (or non-existant) maintainers.
Note that the (some?) maintainers are still active AFAICS, it's just that the list itself isn't useful. I haven't seen much collaboration.

Well, this rather supports my suggestion to not use the mailing list in
the maintainer field, doesn't it?

Not directly, no. However, it does bear further discussion.

The debian-multimedia team currently maintains:

main: aeolus, amb-plugins, ams, amsynth, ardour, ardour-altivec, ardour-i686, audacity, blepvco, create-resources, das-watchdog, fil-plugins, flake, fluidsynth-dssi, fusd-kor-source, gigedit, glashctl, hexter, hydrogen-drumkits, jackd, jackeq, kmidimon, libclalsadrv-dev, libclalsadrv1, libclthreads-dev, libclthreads2, libclxclient-dev, libclxclient3, libflake-dev, libfreebob0, libfreebob0-dev, libfusd-dev, libfusd1, libgavl-dev, libgavl0, libjack-dev, libjack0, libjack0.100.0-0, libjack0.100.0-dev, ll-scope, mcp-plugins, mhwaveedit, omins, opencubicplayer*, opencubicplayer-doc*, openmovieeditor, qtractor, rev-plugins, rosegarden, rosegarden-data, schism*, sineshaper, stops, traverso*, vco-plugins, vkeybd, wavbreaker, wsynth-dssi, xsynth-dssi
    non-free:   midisport-firmware

- the majority of which are actively maintained. Currently watching Aeolus-0.8.1 and Ardour-2.4.1. It looks as if Rosegarden-1.6 is back in testing. I'm not sure about the status of qtractor. New versions of libfreebob0 and openmovieeditor are available. I'm sure omins should have been orphaned along with om-synth, does anyone know of a reason we should be keeping it? Really we should be packaging Ingen instead. Some of these: Ardour; Jackd; Rosegarden et al. are flagship multimedia packages - i.e. they are important to us. (not the same as technically Important)

Debian-multimedia is a Good Name - an obvious place to look if you don't otherwise know where to discuss multimedia topics on Debian. The list is only not useful because none of you use it. Pkg-multimedia-maintainers is an alioth.debian list, people are not going to subscribe to a list with a name like that unless they know they need to.

The issue of co-maintenance is more thorny. Ideally, the above packages should have a proper human maintainer and in fact, some of them do, but they aren't DDs, which is why we have this confusing hodge-podge instead.

I'd like to see debian-multimedia used to discuss multimedia-specific qa issues (amongst other stuff), which is what debian-qa (more-or-less) expects us to be doing. I know this is tantamount to herding cats, but it should be the appropriate list for everyone involved in multimedia on Debian to focus on. I'm not sure that this is a good time to dig up the roses, but I think it would be useful to open up a wide-ranging discussion of the issues.

cheers,

tim