Re: Multimedia Teams in Debian

Hi Fabian,

If there' still documentation referring to these obsolete sites, please point the doc authors to this fact (e.g. by filing bug reports).

I do that whenever I see it, but there's a lot of old information out there.

For 64studio, I have to admit I don't know the differences between their distribution and plain Debian, but it should be possible to merge their work into the official Debian archive

We already contribute our fixes wherever possible, because our lead developer Free Ekanayaka is a DD. 64 Studio is not a fork, it's built mostly from Debian sources.

http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ is a popular site but doesn't have much information for new users. (Maybe we can help with that).

I consider this kind of problematic since debian-multimedia isn't a community project but some kind of a 'one man show' offering highly unofficial (strictly speaking, some even undistributable) packages for Debian.

Actually, I think it's a two-man show, Christian and Thibaut :-) Of course this site is unlikely to become official, but maybe we could ask for some links to the Debian wiki, e.g.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia

in the absence of having a better official homepage for Debian multimedia. There could also be some introductory information for new users there, if the site owners are willing to post it.

I believe we could start merging the efforts of both the pkg-multimedia-maintainers and the debian-multimedia groups into one bigger project, although the current scopes of both projects are slightly different.

I totally agree, there's a lot of overlap. Also, the http://puredyne.goto10.org project is switching to Debian as a base, so they should be involved too.

Cheers!

Daniel