Re: Low-latency kernel

Hi Arnout,

|--==> Arnout Engelen writes:

  AE> Hi!
  AE> One of the first things anyone doing multimedia stuff with Debian is
  AE> going to want is a kernel that's configured for low latency.

  AE> What is currently the recommended way of configuring/installing such a
  AE> kernel? Might be a good idea to put (a link to) some documentation
  AE> about this somewhere on http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia

  AE> Ubuntu has a 'linux-image-lowlatency' package providing a readily
  AE> configured and built kernel suitable for multimedia work.

As far as I know the 'linux-image-lowlatency' kernel has not been
patched with the realtime-preemption patch from Ingo Molnar.

  AE> I haven't
  AE> checked, but I expect 64 Studio and Studio To Go! to have done similar
  AE> work. It might be worthwhile to compare notes and perhaps provide such
  AE> a package for Debian also.

Both these distros come with a realtime-patched kernel, for 64 Studio
the package is available here:

deb http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/testing 64studio main
http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/testing/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/

Ciao!