[eric@zhevny.com: Re: [Jackit-devel] [Freebob-devel] freebob and Ubuntu 6.10]

This is something I would like to discuss at debconf if we get a meeting
set up there. I guess we can discuss here as well ...

----- Forwarded message from Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <eric@zhevny.com> -----

Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:19:39 -0400
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <eric@zhevny.com>
Subject: Re: [Jackit-devel] [Freebob-devel] freebob and Ubuntu 6.10
To: Pieter Palmers <pieterp@joow.be>
Cc: Rich E <reakinator@gmail.com>,
	jackit-devel <jackit-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>,
	freebob-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 04:18:09PM +0200, Pieter Palmers wrote:
> Rich E wrote:
> >     Note: Running jackd as root is not recommended.
> > I figure I'll fix the udev permissions once things are working.  It
> > looks messy.
> >     But since you choose to do so, have you tried not sudo'ing but doing a
> >     real 'su - root' (or real root login) and then running the it?
> > jackd acts the same (pd and xmms don't see the jackd server) and qjacktl
> > "cannot connect to X server"
> >     if both /usr/lib/jack/ and /usr/local/lib/jack/ exist, this is
> >     happening.
> > I didn't remove the apt packages for jack because about 50 programs
> > depend on it and require removal as well if jack is uninstalled.  But I
> > just removed it (and the apps for now) to try to get freebob working.  I
> > reinstalled libjack and qjackctl to /usr/local/ and now I have a
> > different problem: qjackctl expects libjack-0.100.0.so.0, but I have
> > /usr/local/lib/libjack.so.0.0.23
> > /usr/local/lib/libjack.so.0
> > /usr/local/lib/libjack.so
> > I made a symbolic link to /usr/local/lib/libjack.so , but this didn't help.
> > libjack-0.100.0.so.0 is in the apt repositories, so if I reinstall any
> > of the apps I'm using (such as ardour, jamin, or hydrogen), the old jack
> > will be back.
>
> This is the jack-on-debian hell, and I really can't help you with that.
> I hope there are some debian users here.
>
> Maybe you can use the 64studio repository to upgrade your jack?
>
> AFAIK the new Ubuntu version won't have this problem anymore.

The problem is fixed in debian experimental. That won't help most users
until lenny gets rolling. Since etch was released on Sunday, a
transition will likely be planned within the next, hmm ... I don't know,
say maybe 1/2 year or so(?) to get all of the jack dependent apps
rebuilt with a sanely named .so dependency.

My hope is that we (debian developers and developer-wannabes, like me)
can also provide backports for etch that make this less of a PITA for
users. I'm going to debconf and hope to discuss issues like this with
others there who care about multimedia in debian. Any debian users or
devs here who care about such things might like to join the
debian-multimedia list: http://lists.debian.org/debian-multimedia/

So, no real help for the current OPs problem, but some hope for future
improvements ...

-Eric Rz.

----- End forwarded message -----