annoyances with sound/video in Debian.

I've discussed this with Herman Robak in Hacklab2 today:

1.

What is expected from group audio ?

local users would always want audio access from /dev/dsp.

However, you don't want to give realtime scheduling by default.

2.

/dev/raw1394 is owned by disks group.

Can be disk or video.

Can udev change group on-the-fly ?

/etc/udev/permissions.rules:
KERNEL=="raw1394",                              GROUP="disk"

3.

artsd / esd grabbing /dev/dsp is annoying !

Can we use artsd / esd over libjacksyn / jack plugin for ALSA ?

If we can, it might be a good idea to document.
It would be less destructive.

4.

1394 / DV / v4l / v4l2 needs consolidation!

Multiple video source mixing is prohibitively expensive.

encoding/decoding is bad, especially when it's lossy.

regards,
	junichi