Re: Debian policy on multimedia ?

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 08:46:54AM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> Thus a Debian-local patch will be required in cases like LADSPA where
> their specification requires an environmental variable is set.

Hi,

I do not know of a policy for multimedia, but setting one up seems to make
sense. The first thing would be to identify the points that need to
be documented, the LADSPA policy is surely a part of it.

> This kind of thing will surely need some kind of policy document
> specific to multimedia stuff, at least.
>
> I'm not sure if MIDI related stuff are mature enough for this, but I
> think there needs to be some kind of usable sane default for
> MIDI/virtual keyboards setup, or I seem to be setting it up for every
> app.

It would be great if everything had a good default. Do you think this
can be achieved easily ? If it has to be done by patching every application
it might be too error-prone and would take long for implementation. I don't
know if LASH would be a better solution, but then LASH needs the applications
to be LASH aware too - sounds like quite a bit of work.

In general, more than a policy it would be nice to have a writeup on
how it could work, some kind of guidelines at the beginning, which can
eventually become policy.

Cheers,

Guenter