Re: Debian policy on multimedia ?

Hi,

> > I'm currently trying to do a write up for my local LUG on
> > multimedia application in Debian, and stumbled upon this question:
> > Is there currently a document that describes what should happen with
> > debian multimedia packages?
> >
> > There are quite a few things that have inter-working functionalities.
> >
> > I know I have documented something in
> > /usr/share/doc/ladspa-sdk/README.Debian, but there are other
> > stuff, such as JACK, and LADCCA, and others.
>
>   It would be really nice if all those inter-dependent infrastructure
> packages could work without manual intervention, as soon as the
> packages that required them caused them to be installed (through
> dependancies).
>
>   I.e. if there are commonly accepted environment variables that
> point to plugin directories, there should be a commonly accepted
> place to set them, upon installation.  Applications that utilise
> those resources should be patched, if needed, to read the
> appropriate environment variables, query the /proc system or read
> whatever config files the common policy has mandated.

The Debian policy requests that environmental variables to:

     A program must not depend on environment variables to get reasonable
     defaults.  (That's because these environment variables would have to
     be set in a system-wide configuration file like `/etc/profile', which
     is not supported by all shells.)

Thus a Debian-local patch will be required in cases like LADSPA where
their specification requires an environmental variable is set.

This kind of thing will surely need some kind of policy document
specific to multimedia stuff, at least.

I'm not sure if MIDI related stuff are mature enough for this, but I
think there needs to be some kind of usable sane default for
MIDI/virtual keyboards setup, or I seem to be setting it up for every
app.

regards,
	junichi
--