Re: how to completely reset soundconfig?

Last Wednesday 05 January 2005 07:34, Vegard Lundby Rekaa was like:
> > Last Tuesday 04 January 2005 20:34, Vegard Lundby Rekaa was like:
> >> I have problems with my sound wich I can not find any solution on how to
> >> fix.
> >
> > Can you be more specific?
>
> On two later occasions I installed Azuerus Java BitTorrent Client on a
> Debian Sarge system and a Mandrake system. The result was that the sound
> disappered. In the gui soundmixer the volume always popped down to zero
> every time I tried to set the volume. On the mandrakesystem, I deleted
> Azureus, and changed the driver from OSS to ALSA. This worked fine.
>
> Today I have the same problem on Sarge, but it was not Azureus who gave me
> trouble, it was bittornado-gui (the debian package, installed with apt). I
> found a hint on the web that there could be a conflict on some IRQ-ports,
> so I moved the soundcard to another slot on the motherboard. Just doing
> this didn't fix the sound but hopefully I've removed the source and the
> problem...

OK, I have no experience with Bit Torrent clients.

> I tried to install alsa drivers but some error kept me from succeding. So
> now I have OSS wich isn't working and ALSA wich is partly installed but
> not functional. Because of the mess I thought that a total resinstallation
> of the whole soundsystem would be a good idea, but I'm open for
> suggestions.
>
> Output of 'lsmod' and 'lspci' is in the bottom of the mail.

It looks like you have ALSA installed with OSS support but not working. You
might as well go the whole hog and get ALSA working.

> Soundcard: 'Creative SoundBlaster AudioPCI128'-soundcard.
> OS: Debian Testing "Sarge"
> Kernel: 2.4.27-1-386
>
> > Have you tried DeMuDi?
>
> No, where you thinking of anything particular?
> I'm not sure if I wan't to install a new system right now. I wish to get
> debian up and running as the main system on my machine first, then I may
> try DeMuDi as a secondary OS.

If the music side of things isn't a heavy priority, you could just add
A/DeMuDi sources to your /etc/apt/sources.list i.e.:
deb http://apt.agnula.org/demudi testing local
It's close enough to Sarge (built on recent snapshot) that most of the
packages should work fine on a Sarge system. Not essential for what you want.

> hjem:~# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
[snips]
> snd-ens1371        10432   0
> snd-pcm-oss        34336   0  (unused)
> snd-mixer-oss     11032   0  [snd-pcm-oss]
> gameport               1388   0  [snd-ens1371]
> snd-rawmidi        11552   0  [snd-ens1371]
> snd-seq-device          3604   0  [snd-rawmidi]
> snd-ac97-codec         47232   0  [snd-ens1371]
> snd-pcm               50792   0  [snd-ens1371 snd-pcm-oss snd-ac97-codec]
> snd-timer             12580   0  [snd-pcm]
> snd                       27972   0  [snd-ens1371 snd-pcm-oss
> snd-mixer-oss snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-ac97-codec snd-pcm snd-timer]
> snd-page-alloc        4328   0  [snd-mixer-oss snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device
> snd-pcm snd-timer snd]
> soundcore               3268   6  [snd]
[snip]
> hjem:~#
> hjem:~# lspci
[snips]
> 0000:00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97]
> (rev 08)
[snip]

You have all the ALSA modules loaded. (snd-*) except snd-seq-oss, which you
may not want(?) and the Soundblaster is recognised. Good. The'alsaconf'
utility should configure it all for you, but probably won't work in my
experience. In which case you need to modify
/etc/modutils/alsa-base to read something like this:

alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss # module not loaded
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss # module not loaded
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd  device_mode=0660
options snd-ens1371 mpu_port=0x330 index=0 # external MIDI port (opt)
alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371
alias sound-slot-0 snd-ens1371

then run these two commands:
# update-modules
# /etc/init.d/alsa restart

And it should work, sometimes I have found I have to reboot before it all
clicks into place.

check here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-Creative_Labs#matrix
http://alsa.opensrc.org/