midi, sarge, 2.6, sb awe 64, woes

Has anyone managed to get midi running on a SoundBlaster awe64 pnp card with
sarge with a 2.6 kernel?

I want to use Solfege on sarge running a 2.6.8-2-686 kernel on my PII computer
with a SoundBlaster awe64 pnp card.  Solfege seems to use midi as its sound
output. My sb card, with the snd_sbawe module and its dependents loaded seems to play cd's, but I have been having a frustrating time trying to get any midi output. There seems to be a lack of precise documentation on how to accomplish
this.  I have read that the Soundblaster-AWE howto is the documentation for
this, but it is old, seems to be presuming that you are going to interface with oss, instead of the alsa that is built into the 2.6 kernel, so I don't know how to interpret this howto. For example, does one need isapnptools with the 2.6
kernel, or has this been absorbed into the main kernel?

In general there are many modules and programs that seem to have some connection
with my goal, but what if any combination I haven't found yet.  I don't
understand what the sound modules do in general. I tried timidity, in order to bypass the whole midi input but it seems as if it will not work smoothly on my
system, probably due to my slow cpu (333MHz) speed.

If anyone has some kind of an idea to help me out of my quandary I would be very
thankful.

Henricus Holtman