Re: ITP: realtime -- Realtime Linux Security Module (fwd)

    GG> Hi,

    GG> I have just sent an ITP for Jack's realtime module. The new
    GG> 2.6.4 debian kernel series come with all the features that we
    GG> need. Preliminary versions are available at:

    GG> deb http://mtg80.upf.es/devel/packages /

    GG> You basically just have to install the new kernel e.g.
    GG> apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.6-1-686

    GG> and then the realtime module

    GG> apt-get install realtime-module-2.4.6-1-686

    GG> (sorry, no other flavors yet)

    GG> When the module has been installed succesully you should be
    GG> able to run jack without jackstart and suid root, just as jack
    GG> -R -d alsa

    GG> At the same time, most of the other applications that require
    GG> realtime scheduling and memory locking should work. (For users
    GG> in the audio group).

    GG> You can change the settings of the module in
    GG> /etc/default/realtime.conf, the module gets automatically
    GG> loaded by a init.d script.

    GG> Feeback is highly appreciated.

I've just given it a short try. It works fine, good work :)

I'm  used  to start the jack  server  via qjackctl,  which  AFAIR uses
jackstart as  the default command.   Awfully  to  launch jackstart  as
normal user  one needs a   patched  kernel which  does  not come  with
Debian.

Now that we have the realtime module I think it would  be nice to have
qjactctl   use directly jackd as    default  command, and include  the
realtime package in the Recomends of qjackctl.

bye,

Free