Re: RFS: mimms - MMS (mms://) streaming media download utility

On Monday 08 March 2004 10:57 am, Ryan Underwood wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 04:21:24AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > Source and binary packages can be downloaded from:
> > > <http://www.icecavern.net/~wjl/debian/mimms/>

> > Thanks for all your work.  Being able to d/l such media will be
> > way cool.

I hope it's useful for you. =) It may be that, as Ryan suggested, if you
already have mplayer you can do it without mimms.

> You can already do this with mplayer -dumpstream, at least to some
> extent.

I haven't compared it with functionality-wise with mplayer recently; in
the past, mplayer lacked quite a bit in the mms:// department, although
it plays back the resulting media files just fine.

Anyway, assuming that's all been fixed now (I wouldn't be surprised,
mplayer does have a lot of active development on it!), mimms still does
have some advantages:

1. mplayer, at least at the moment, isn't and can't be in Debian. (Sure,
you can get it from marillat or other places...)

2. mimms is very small and has very few dependancies. It will run fine
on, say, an iPAQ. (Actually, I've done this with my H3900!) =)

$ apt-cache depends mimms
mimms
  Depends: libc6

As opposed to:

$ apt-cache depends mplayer-386 | grep Depends: | wc
     45      90     949

Not to mention the dependancies of the dependancies of the ... ;)

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net>