Problem with sound in xawtv

I can't get sound in xawtv.

I have a cable going from my saa7134 (LifeView
FlyVideo3000) card's line-out to my ESS1988 (Allegro,
uses maestro3 driver) line-in.

I get perfect picture in xawtv, and perfect sound in
radio (the TV card does FM Radio) with the same cable
connection.

Sound works fine in the bundled TV application under
Windows, and I've had no problems with 'line-in' using
other devices (e.g. a walkman plugged into the sound
card).

Turning artsd on and off makes no difference to the
xawtv problem.

Gerd Knorr has said that he thinks it may be a problem
with the saa7134 driver, and not xawtv.  That sounds
plausible to me.

I'm running Debian stable, KDE2, with a backported
2.4.24 kernel (www.backports.org), with the patches
from bytesex.org (2.4.24-rc1) applied.

Further info about my config can be found here:

Can anybody help?

In particular, I'd love to discover a way -- without
having to put it in kernel code -- to peek into the
memory mapped by PCI and check things like mute status
and volume.  setpci only seems to check configuration
registers, and not allow looking at the DMA area.

I have a request for further info into Gerd, but I
suspect Gerd is a very busy person, what with
maintaining xawtv and a whole bunch of drivers.

Cheers
JP

Go to: http://in.insurance.yahoo.com/licspecial/index.html