Re: [a-users] AGNULA/DeMuDi Menu Icon Guidelines

Last Friday 19 November 2004 08:16, Free Ekanayaka was like:

> Typically Debian policy changes are   hard to achieve, but this   case
> definitely worth the  effort. Moreover  the   task could be   possibly
> easier because there's a separate  document  for the menu policy  than
> the general one:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s-menus
> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu-policy/
>
> We may want to involve debian-devel@l.d.o in this discussion.

OK, I'll include them in the next round.

>   th> Please, make sure the icons you specify are always available on the
> system. th> So, if you want to have an icon with your menu entry, the
> preferred method is th> to supply the icon with that package. Also, to
> prevent the distribution of th> icons files to turn too much into a mess,
> please put all icon files in the th> directory /usr/share/pixmaps - It's
> all static shareable
>   th> architecture-independent data.
>
> Ok. I'd add that the icon file name should be:
>
> /usr/share/pixmaps/<package>.xpm
>
> in case of a single icon or
>
> /usr/share/pixmaps/<package>-<icon0>.xpm
> /usr/share/pixmaps/<package>-<icon1>.xpm
> ..
> /usr/share/pixmaps/<package>-<iconN>.xpm
>
> in  case   of  multiple ones,  where  iconX  is   an  arbitrary string
> characterising the icon.

OK, that's nice and clear, so the ecasound examples should
be /usr/share/pixmaps/ecasound-icon16x16.xpm or something similar.

-- Just so you know, this isn't a random suggestion -- I like the idea of
using ecasound as an example because it seems like the closest musical
equivalent to vi, also because it's an app that people might assume doesn't
need an icon and the ecasound developers are currently working on providing
the same for the next release.

>   th> 	?package(ecasound2.2):needs=text section=Apps/Sound\
>   th>   	title="ecasound2.2" command="/usr/bin/ecasound -c" \
>   th> 	icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/ecasound.xpm" \
>   th> 	icon16x16="/usr/share/pixmaps/eca_16.xpm" \
>   th> 	icon32x32="/usr/share/pixmaps/eca_32.xpm"
>
> Ok, this  already done by most  of the packages  though,  at least the
> sound related ones.

Yes, currently I'm pushing to get the few sound related applications that
don't already, to provide icons.

>   th> Additionally:
>
>   th> Apparently it's also possible to specify an icon for a sub-menu.
> However, if th> each package would supply its own icons for the sub menus
> we can never be th> sure that the icon files are available. Thus, only the
> menu package is th> allowed to specify icons for sub menus. The syntax for
> this is:
>
>   th>        X11 Apps menu/apps /usr/share/pixmaps/icon.xpm "Editors"
>
>   th> I'm not sure of the location of this file? Any guesses?
>
> Making menu authoritative for sub-menus icons is a good idea IMO.  I'd
> suggest to use:
>
> /usr/lib/menu/menu
>
> to hold such information:
>
> ?package(menu):needs="X11" section="Apps/Sound"
> icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/icon.xpm"

Great, currently menu doesn't provide a /usr/lib/menu file AFAICS and this
would seem to be in line with the existing suggestion.

>   th> The other problem specific to A/DeMuDi is that having an independent
> top-level th> 'Sound' or 'Audio' menu section breaks Debian Menu Policy.
>
>   th> I have designed a set of generic sound-application group icons, which
> could be th> used more widely, especially if I were to convert them to
> .XPMs and knew th> where we should put the configuration file and
> preferably which upstream th> package they should be included in (currently
> demudi-artwork).
>
> The demudi-artwork  package  was growing  to much,   I've split  it in
> several packages. There relevant one is demudi-pixmaps.
>
>   th> These can
>   th> currently be found in (surprise!) /usr/share/pixmaps/ as .PNGs and
> may be th> freely used (of course) by maintainers who do not wish to design
> their own, th> for whatever reason.
>
> I've converted them to .xpm, see:
>
> http://demudi.alioth.debian.org/browser/demudi-pixmaps/trunk/
>
> (hope it works, alioth is having problems in this period)

Cool! alioth works fine for me, w.a.o is very slow atm.
I'll construct a demo menu file for sub-menu icons.

>   th> I'd value any thoughts you all might have on the matter.
>
> Keep it on!

Keeping On then!

cheers

tim hall