Re: JACK 0.98.1 in experimental

Robert Joerdens <robertjo@phys.ethz.ch> writes:

> I wonder if we should change the default to starting the daemon even if
> upstream doesn't do that yet.

I would not recommend that.  We decided to release it dependent on
JACK_START_SERVER because some clients use jack_client_new() to decide
whether to use JACK or some other interface.  For them, this change
was not entirely compatible, or at least the results were unexpected
and sometimes undesired.

We plan to provide a new jack_client_open() interface in the next
release.  This will give clients explicit control over whether or not
to start the server when it is not already running.

Eventually, we plan to change the default behavior of
jack_client_new(), but not until there has been an adequate transition
peroid.  JACK has so many clients.  They need quite a long time to
adjust to even subtle interface semantics changes.
--
  joq