Re: fw: jackd/ audio apps mini policy

> I have not yet run 2.6 myself.  From comments posted on
> linux-audio-dev I doubt it will solve all the problems.
>
> The 2.6 developers claim much better latency results than vanilla 2.4.
> This is an important step forward, but their claims are still
> noticeably worse than a properly patched and tuned 2.4 system.  IIRC,
> the differences were very much in the range that low-latency audio
> cares about (1 to 4 msec).
>
> I had not heard about the capabilities patch being included in 2.6.  I
> hope it is.  Of course capabilities were also "included" in 2.4, they
> just disabled the CAP_SETPCAP ability, making them relatively useless.
>
> Time for me to download a copy, build and install 2.6.  Anyone have a
> recommendation for running it on a Debian woody system (plus some
> sarge packages)?  Is there a backport site?

I used to simply compile kernels manually myself - downloading the
vanilla source from kernel.org (or patches, since they are much smaller,
if you are going from one release to the next (eg. 2.4.21 to 2.4.22).

Then I started using make-kpkg from the kernel-package package. This is
nice, it creates a .deb from your "make ?config"ed kernel, including
modules package, headers package, doco package, full package, source
package, etc. - whatever you ask it to, it will build. Simply go away
and come back after a cuppa.

Most recently I simply installed the latest kernel-image-2.4.22-1-686
package. I am on sid (unstable) though...

Manually building gives me a certain warm-and-fuzzy "I (think I) know
exactly what's happening kind of feeling, which you lose a little of
using an automated system such as make-kpkg. But make-kpkg is nice...

cheers
zen