Re: Respect the wishes of the mplayer authors

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 01:06, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > If you do want to include mplayer in your distro, how about releasing it under another name than mplayer, so that the real and lovable mplayer won't be mistaken for a cripled and unusable application? To quote Bruce Perens explaining the 4. right of open source: "if you make a change, you might have to change the name of the program or mark out your change very clearly"
>
> If foolish tells me that's the best way to shut up people,
> then that may be done, especially when mplayer in Debian is not
> the same as what may be obtained from compiling upstream source.

I support this and I don't understand the emotionally led debates about
that topic. The alternative would be not to include mplayer at all,
which would actually be a capitulation against patents and other evil
forces. Maybe we can include more original mplayer features later, but
that's another topic.

bye,
  Roland