Multimedia Player Packaging in Debian

Hi,

I was wondering about how the packaging for multimedia support was done for Debian. Apparentely, the official players for debian are Xine and XMMS. But there are still a lot of talk around about Mplayer though. So what is the situation with the Mplayer.
What were the reasons for discarding the Mplayer when considering packaging for Debian? I have seen somewhere on the web that the Mplayer code was not compliant with the Debian free approach.
Can anybody tell me anything about this?

Thanks.

Yannick

Do you Yahoo!?