Re: Project Halium : collaboration on common android base

> I guess you mean proprietary drivers here? Debian doesn't like those

> so this goal doesn't sound useful for us.

That’s right, but it’s the only way to run glibc based systems on android mobile phones, without rewriting everything which would take longer than the phone’s live. Note that these driver blobs doesn’t need to be hosted on the debian repositories, as Halium will probably maintain a small repo for a PoC build, maybe built upon debian or ubuntu.

> As I understand it, libhybris is solely for proprietary drivers that

> can't be recompiled, so probably not useful for Debian.

Please note that libhybris itself is free software, which could be included in debian without any license problems (the source package). The proprietary drivers are included in an android image, which will be downloaded from Halium most likely anyway

> It sounds like you would use a custom Linux kernel, this would not be

> useful for Debian, as we only use mainline versions of the Linux

> kernel.

Of course it’s a dream of all of us to use the mainline kernel on phones, but this is not realistic until Quallcomm themselves starts to opensource and mainline their stuff. Again, as this kernels would include proprietary blobs, they shouldn’t be included in debians repository, but in some external one, like one of Halium.

> I'm not sure what the Android HAL consists of.

The HAL consists of an android image or root file system, which can either be started inside a schroot, chroot, LinuxContainer or using droid-hal-init like in sailfishOS and mer.

> I would encourage you to choose a different path:

> Merge existing open source Linux drivers, subsystems etc

That’s indeed a long term aim of halium too, but it’s not realistic now. We want to quickly support more devices, so that developers can build images based on different distros like debian for their phones and tablets. What you suggest would simply take way too long, or would be impossible.

At the end, I want to say clearly, that Halium based images are possibly nothing to be distributed by debian itself, as they contain proprietary drivers and kernel blobs, but something that will be available through a build script, which get’s all the required parts from Halium and debian, and builds an image or rootfs from it.

That would probably be comparable to the raspberry pi debian bootstrapping script which downloads the required stuff, builds the raspberrypi specific kernel and puts everything into a flashable image.