Re: Debian to mobile platforms

2012/9/27 green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com>:
> And so what is actually needed is better support for Debian on mobile
> devices.
>
> I too would like to run Debian on a handheld device and use a secondary
> larger display.

Above all we'd need more touch usable applications packaged in Debian
that could be used on such mobile devices. If you're willing to do
some packaging, please go ahead.

Some suitable sources using Qt/QML would be at Mer's Nemo sub-project:

http://repo.pub.meego.com/CE%3a/Apps/CE_MW_Shared_armv7hl/src/

Note that there are also many other applications under the "MTF"
directories, but generally we probably won't want MeeGo Touch
Framework packaged in Debian since it has been obsoleted for all
practical matters by Qt / QML. It could be packaged, but it'd be a lot
of work. Luckily also Nemo people are developing more and more non-MTF
Qt applications that should basically just work in Debian if packaged.

KDE Plasma Active would be another place to check for packagable stuff.

As mentioned, one needs the lower levels worked upon as well, but it's
useful to sometimes take that as a given and focus on what
applications then are needed. Many of us have Neo FreeRunner which run
Debian just fine. N900 can be gotten to run and both FSO and oFono
should have a functional modem driver in Debian. Both can be used to
at least testing the applications in real life scenario.

There are also some applications in Debian that are at least almost
good for touch usage like FoxtrotGPS.

-Timo