From: Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org>
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2022 4:48 AM
To: Reggie Goldman <rgoldman@itfab.us>; debian-mirrors@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Provider mirror

On 16622 March 1977, Reggie Goldman wrote:

> business etc but I want to get a little back to the space I was.
> Currently I have the resources and would like to provide a Debian
> mirror, if it’s needed. I have a small data center, I’m working to
> build a new structure just for it, in the near future, so it’s not
> exactly how I want it yet, but I do have multi homed dedicated fiber
> providers with failover in place etc (2 providers currently). And
> automatic standby generator power, UPS systems etc so I do consider it
> to be pretty reliable. Speed is currently 300Mbps with bursts being a
> little higher, and the backup link is 100M.

> Anyway long story short I would like to support the project in way of
> a mirror, but is there someone that could help reliably maintain it? I
> can provide full access and resources to the system. Location is
> southeastern usa (Mississippi). I just don’t have the full time that
> is really needed to make sure it’s 100%, ie it’s staying up to date
> etc, though time to time I would check around in details at operation.
> I know mirrors are a dime a dozen nowadays but it’s probably the only
> way I could support the project and be involved a little. Yes I do use
> Linux everyday, it runs my DNS servers and it runs on my edge routers
> actually. We also provide various types of services like the usual web
> and email, UniFi controllers, NextCloud servers, some VoIP that kind
> of thing.

> But I would absolutely love to and I believe it would work well. If
> someone could provide a little of their time to just double check it
> regularly I would be glad to get the base install going and provide
> access.

Honestly: Don't.
I mean, thanks for wanting to give back and all, but you said it:
"mirrors are a dime a dozen". Especially the US and Europe are pretty well equipped. It is unlikely that many users (if any) would chose yours over the defaults. A mirror makes sense if you have a large user base around (say, university or company with lots of local machines that update from that mirror), but otherwise, don't.
You will use more manpower and bandwidth on updating something that will see none, or only a very small usage, which is a waste on time for you and whoever helps you run it.

If you want to support the project, spread the word and talk to people about it. Maybe help your local Linux user group, if any (or create one). Possibly support a student to work on free software. Or donate to a project which does that for you.

--
bye, Joerg