Re: Equivalent functionality when FTP gets shut down

On 23.05.17 19:45, Fredrik Tolf wrote:
I just saw the announcment on the home page that the FTP servers are going to be shut down. I'm all fine with that, but I'd like to request that the indices of the HTTP servers be updated to be able to show the targets of symlinks.

For example, it's convenient to be able to see what the {oldstable,stable,testing} links point to ay any given time, given that it's not too seldom that I forget what the different Debian names mean, or when I just haven't kept myself updated for a while:

$ ftp ftp.debian.org
[...]
ftp> ls /debian/dists
[...]
lrwxrwxrwx    1 1176     1176            6 Apr 25  2015 stable -> jessie

No big deal, for sure, it's just a nice thing.

I completely agree - it would also be great if the server redirected acces
to the link to proper destination, so people don't access the same resource
with different URIs.

note that when FollowSymLinks is on (by default), apache just accesses the
destination without checking where does it point to.

however I don't see a way in apache to produce this kind of output...