Re: New mirror help

Boo for multiposting.  Here's a copy of my reply from the other venue
for the benefit of the mirrors list.

----- Forwarded message from Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org> -----

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016, Host-Engine.com wrote:

> We are interested in seting up a new mirror for US and another for
> Netherlands, but we are confused in how to do the rsync process, we
> already have mirrors in centos but here the process is not the same.
>
> there is a guide with the commands we have to use to rsync with the
> ftpsync tool?

The way we usually deploy it is to clone the git repository (or untar
the tarball) in the homedir of a role account, and then symlink all the
things from the tree into ~.

Then we edit ~/etc/ftpsync.conf.  e.g:

| weasel@mirror-umn:~archvsync$ cat etc/ftpsync.conf
| MIRRORNAME="syncproxy.cna.debian.org"
| TO="/srv/mirrors/debian/"
|
| RSYNC_PATH="debian"
| RSYNC_HOST=ftp-master.debian.org
| RSYNC_USER=`hostname`
| RSYNC_PASSWORD="..."

Obviously, you'll have to configure your own upstream mirror.

Now calling just ~/bin/ftpsync will sync the Debian repository.

If you have other debian trees to sync, then that can be also configured:
| weasel@mirror-isc:~archvsync$ cat etc/ftpsync-debug.conf
| MIRRORNAME="syncproxy2.wna.debian.org"
| TO="/srv/mirrors/debian-debug/"
|
| RSYNC_PATH="debian-debug"
| RSYNC_HOST=ftp-master.debian.org
| RSYNC_USER=`hostname`
| RSYNC_PASSWORD=".."

If you want to sync that, run "~/bin/ftpsync sync:archive:debug".

The usual way for ftpsync to be triggered however is by ssh push from the
upstream mirror, and there the options come in via ssh and all you need
in your authorized_keys file is something like
} command="~/bin/ftpsync",no-port-forwarding,no-X11-forwarding,no-agent-forwarding,no-pty ssh-rsa AAAAB....

(Note that the debian archive tree is probably the only one worth
mirroring.  Having more copies of the debug archive (or the security
archive) probably is of less value.)

HTH,
Cheers,
--
                            |  .''`.       ** Debian **
      Peter Palfrader       | : :' :      The  universal
 https://www.palfrader.org/ | `. `'      Operating System

----- End forwarded message -----