Re: removing ftp:// from mirrors lists

On 04/15/2016 12:42 AM, Per Foreby wrote:
> Fine with me. I checked my logs, and the HTTP/FTP ratio is  well above
> 100. The FTP traffic is mainly Index files and a few pool files. So no
> new installations seem to use FTP.

Some observation here, there is very low traffic towards FTP.

> This raises a problem with Debian's superior upgradeability. People
> keep changing the distribution name in sources.list for ever. If we cut
> the ftp downloads too soon, a lot of people will run into problems and
> Debian might ruin its security reputation.
>
> My suggestion:
>
> The upgrade section in the release notes for stretch should address the
> protocol change, and after that we should keep offering ftp downloads
> until jessie loses its oldstable status.

1) yes

2) maybe provide some sort of upgrade package like netselect-apt or
similar to help the user chose a new good mirror (potentially better
than the one he is using currently regardless of FTP or not).

3) If at production quality at that time, add notes about
httpredir.debian.org (or whatever hostname the redirector has by that
time) to have users use a efficient and highly available redirector

4) Maybe add the ability for mirror-Lists like
(http://mirrors.ubuntu.com/DE.txt) to apt? I mean the data is there
(https://www.debian.org/mirror/list, just a question of providing those
text files).

Regards