Re: removing ftp:// from mirrors lists

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 07:10:38 +0000 Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org>
wrote:

> I suggest we start by removing ftp:// links from the various mirror
> pages and from the mirror masterlist.

Fine with me. I checked my logs, and the HTTP/FTP ratio is  well above
100. The FTP traffic is mainly Index files and a few pool files. So no
new installations seem to use FTP.

This raises a problem with Debian's superior upgradeability. People
keep changing the distribution name in sources.list for ever. If we cut
the ftp downloads too soon, a lot of people will run into problems and
Debian might ruin its security reputation.

My suggestion:

The upgrade section in the release notes for stretch should address the
protocol change, and after that we should keep offering ftp downloads
until jessie loses its oldstable status.

--
Per Foreby
debian.lth.se