Re: Measuring testing vs stable vs oldstable usage from security mirrors logs

Hi Lucas,

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 11:00:15AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> I would be very interested in getting an idea of testing vs stable vs
> oldstable usage, and I was wondering if the security mirror logs could
> be used for that.

Note we can access ftp.debian.org backends, that may give different figures
that access to security archive.

We also have the chance to have some very responsive admins of officials
mirrors, we can come with a script they may run.

> The idea would be to count the respective number of http hits on e.g.
> http://security.debian.org/dists/squeeze/updates/main/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2
> http://security.debian.org/dists/wheezy/updates/main/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2
> http://security.debian.org/dists/jessie/updates/main/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2
> (maybe filtering with distinct IPs)

IP address are no longer present in access log, I guess DSA did that change
for anonymity purpose, but it makes conclusions from logs parsing more difficult..

> As I'm mostly interested in relative usage, the logs don't need to be
> consolidated between the various mirrors.
>
> Do you already have statistics about that?
> If not, would it be possible to do a one-off run now,

That gives, on August 2013, grepping Packages hits on security mirrors (before
tests with fastly):
squeeze or oldstable
lzma	963925
bz2	20508309
gz	3217917
total	24690151

wheezy or stable
lzma	27859
bz2	5594851
gz	143140
total	5765850

jessie or testing
lzma	2908
bz2	561183
gz	32010
total	596101

so:
squeeze	79.5%
wheezy	18.5%
jessie	 1,9%

> and maybe setup something more stable later?

I need to clean my scripts a bit, and check with DSA how we can integrate that
to a role account.