Re: debian-security mirroring

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 06:03:29PM +0200, Simon Paillard wrote:
> You can mirror security if you want, but :
> 1/ we will not advertise your mirror
> 2/ it's at your own risk to rely on a unofficial security mirror, even
> your own (in terms of freshness mostly).

We do have our own local security mirror for ca. 350 Debian boxes
(servers, workstations, thinclients).

We though have both, our local mirror as well as the official
security.debian.org in our sources.list. security.debian.org is listed
after the local mirror, so if our local mirror has the update, the
packages will be downloaded from there and if security.debian.org has
already a newer version of a package (i.e. the local mirror is out of
date), it's fetched from there. So the local security mirror just acts
as fast (1 GBit/s :-) cache and in the worst case we are still as
up-to-date as security.debian.org is.

Updates of the local security mirror are btw. triggered either via the
DSA RSS feed or manually via some shell script in case of we know of
the updates (e.g. via debian-security-announce@l.d.o) but the RSS feed
has not yet been updated or the cron job hasn't fetched the new
version yet.

		Kind regards, Axel Beckert
--
Axel Beckert <beckert@phys.ethz.ch>       support: +41 44 633 26 68
IT Services Group, HPT D 16                 voice: +41 44 633 41 89