Re: cdn.debian.net not working in Germany

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 03:04:23PM +0200, Peter P?ml wrote:
> I learned about the existance of cdn.debian.net from this
> thread. Trying it out (from Germany), it seems that one of the two
> addresses that the DNS resolves to doesn't have the expected
> files. http://cdn.debian.net/linux/boot/syslinux/ gives a 404 on
> every second time I access it,
> accordingly. btr0x2.rz.uni-bayreuth.de is the host that is missing
> the files.

I'm also a little bit confused about cdn.debian.net's behaviour. I'd
expect from the official primary mirror in a country to be returned at
least if I query cdn.debian.net from the host itself or the same
subnet. But that doesn't work on heustock.ethz.ch aka debian.ethz.ch
aka ftp.ch.debian.org:

root@heustock:~ # host cdn.debian.net
cdn.debian.net is an alias for deb.cdn.araki.net.
deb.cdn.araki.net has address
root@heustock:~ # host domain name pointer kassia3.snt.utwente.nl.
root@heustock:~ #

IIRC someone said that all official mirrors are included in
cdn.debian.net's database. But what I get returned is
ftp.ch.debian.org's upstream mirror instead.

That's no big pitty though as the network connection between both is
cheap and fast. But anyway, it's surely not optimal and I did expect
to get the Swiss primary mirror, not the Dutch one.

Same happens from a commercial Swiss ISP (well, belongs to UPC now)
not connected to GEANT2 (as ethz.ch and utwente.nl are).

So no real problem here, but nevertheless unexpected results.

		Kind regards, Axel Beckert
Axel Beckert <beckert@phys.ethz.ch>       support: +41 44 633 26 68
IT Services Group, HPT D 17                 voice: +41 44 633 41 89
Departement of Physics, ETH Zurich
CH-8093 Zurich, Switzerland		   http://nic.phys.ethz.ch/