Re: cdn.debian.net not working in Germany

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 03:04:23PM +0200, Peter P?ml wrote:
> I learned about the existance of cdn.debian.net from this
> thread. Trying it out (from Germany), it seems that one of the two
> addresses that the DNS resolves to doesn't have the expected
> files. http://cdn.debian.net/linux/boot/syslinux/ gives a 404 on
> every second time I access it,
> accordingly. btr0x2.rz.uni-bayreuth.de is the host that is missing
> the files.

I'm also a little bit confused about cdn.debian.net's behaviour. I'd
expect from the official primary mirror in a country to be returned at
least if I query cdn.debian.net from the host itself or the same
subnet. But that doesn't work on heustock.ethz.ch aka debian.ethz.ch
aka ftp.ch.debian.org:

root@heustock:~ # host cdn.debian.net
cdn.debian.net is an alias for deb.cdn.araki.net.
deb.cdn.araki.net has address 130.89.149.226
root@heustock:~ # host 130.89.149.226
226.149.89.130.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer kassia3.snt.utwente.nl.
root@heustock:~ #

IIRC someone said that all official mirrors are included in
cdn.debian.net's database. But what I get returned is
ftp.ch.debian.org's upstream mirror instead.

That's no big pitty though as the network connection between both is
cheap and fast. But anyway, it's surely not optimal and I did expect
to get the Swiss primary mirror, not the Dutch one.

Same happens from a commercial Swiss ISP (well, belongs to UPC now)
not connected to GEANT2 (as ethz.ch and utwente.nl are).

So no real problem here, but nevertheless unexpected results.

		Kind regards, Axel Beckert
--
Axel Beckert <beckert@phys.ethz.ch>       support: +41 44 633 26 68
IT Services Group, HPT D 17                 voice: +41 44 633 41 89