Re: Status of main/debian-installer

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 12:53:19PM -0400, Lee Winter wrote:
> > From: Simon Paillard <simon.paillard@resel.enst-bretagne.fr>
> > On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 09:04:33PM -0400, Lee Winter wrote:
> > > Is the debian-installer portion of the official debian mirrors "special" in
> > > some strange way?
> >
> > The debian-installer, located for example at
> > http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/installer-i386/ is
> > not in /pool/ because it is not a package itself, so not referenced as
> > such in Packages.(gz|bz2).
>
> Why is debian-installer not a package?

It's a big part of software built from many packages. The result does
not aim at being installed on a Debian system, so that's not a .deb file
:-)

> Are there other non-packages in the debian mirrors?
>      If so where is their existence documented?
[..]
> Do the ftpsync mirror scripts handle only packages or do they handle
> the entire mirror?

ftpsync handles all files. (like other tools should do).
That's why ftpsync is the recommended tool for a public mirror.

[..]
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_debian_package_management_internals
>
> That reference provides a lot of information about packages, but it
> does not even mention non-packages.  Where can I find docuimentation
> that describes the corner (debian-installer & debian-mirror)?

In the devref as well:
http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/resources.html#archive

You can also check the contents of debian/indices/files/arch-*.files
(grep -v './pool/' before).