Re: Status of main/debian-installer

> From: Simon Paillard <simon.paillard@resel.enst-bretagne.fr>
> Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 10:46:57 +0200
>
> Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

> On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 09:04:33PM -0400, Lee Winter wrote:
> > Is the debian-installer portion of the official debian mirrors "special" in
> > some strange way?
>
> The debian-installer, located for example at
> http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/installer-i386/ is
> not in /pool/ because it is not a package itself, so not referenced as
> such in Packages.(gz|bz2).

Why is debian-installer not a package?

Are there other non-packages in the debian mirrors?
     If so where is their existence documented?

> > The reason I ask is that the netboot process fails when directed to a local
> > mirror.  This is currently the case for mirrors built with apt-mirror and
> > seems to also have been a long-standing problem with debmirror.
>
> Certainly because apt-mirror or such tools only mirror *packages*, not
> related files.

Do the ftpsync mirror scripts handle only packages or do they handle
the entire mirror?

> > The netboot install process seems to look for the debian-installer package
> > in a non-standard location.  So it fails when aimed at a local mirror, but
> > succeeds when aimed at an official repository.
> >
> > Where should I look for more information?
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_debian_package_management_internals

That reference provides a lot of information about packages, but it
does not even mention non-packages.  Where can I find docuimentation
that describes the corner (debian-installer & debian-mirror)?