Re: Secondary CD/DVD Image Downloading

Simon Paillard <simon.paillard@resel.enst-bretagne.fr> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 06:24:03PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > The only difference will be you get 5000 different IP's in the
> > log which are downloading only 500 MByte each instead of 250
> > downloading 4,7 GByte
>
> Because very few voluntary mirrors seeds ISOs (however I am not
> a fan of BitTorrent/P2P for Debian ISO and moreoever for
> packages).

End users can help with that.  Would it be worth putting "seeding
ISOs for the inital days of the Lenny release" on the "How can you
help Debian" page, and announce it in an -announce or Weekly News
email?

It's not necessary to download the ISO before seeding it.  Jigdo
can take a template (28MB for DVD1) and combine it with files from
/var/cache/apt.  BitTorrent can take the result, ignore the parts
corresponding to packages that weren't in /var/cache/apt, and seed
what you have.

So people who've been running testing / unstable can boost the
start of the torrent.  If the torrent's fast then downloaders are
less likely to give up and go back to HTTP.

(Having proposed it, I'll offer to find/write the HOWTO for it)
Steve