Re: ftp.debian.org has incomplete mirror

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 13:43 -0700, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 10:09:50PM +0200, Franklin PIAT wrote:
> > I have noticed that ftp.debian.org actually points to an incomplete
> > mirror (no ppc, sparc...), which is problematic, since its often used in
> > examples or default URLs :
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/12/msg00002.html

Hello,

I had some thought regarding the fact that a given primary mirror may
not provide a full mirror (i.e not all architectures). While a secondary
mirror may provide the missing architecture.

Has there been some thought to provide some mirror whose DNS name would
be :
 ftp.i386.fr.debian.org/debian/ or ftp.fr-i386.debian.org/debian/
So distinct architecture could point to different mirror.

... That's just a random idea. Especially, I understand that it might be
difficult to get the apache's "ServerAlias" updated on each mirror, when
a new architecture is made available.

Thanks,

Franklin