Re: ftp.debian.org has incomplete mirror

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 05:38:22PM -0400, Ricardo Yanez wrote:
> A better question would be - why hasn't f.d.o been decommissioned
> entirely? It's existence seems to cause a lot of confusion. The other
> day I stumble upon a wiki page which points to it,
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf
>
> This page was updated recently and should not have pointed to f.d.o,
> rather to f.XX.d.o. Keeping it for backward compatibility for this long
> seem to be encouraging people to just keep using it.

Apparently so... but we've been too lenient, since removing it completely
would affect a large number of people. And there's always been that
desire to get a magic geodns solution in its place...

Though there is one aspect that is scheduled to be terminated -
mirroring from it. I see that I've last updated the rsyncd motd to have
a harsh deprecation notice on 2007-11-17, which was almost eight months ago;
and before that it's been running with a bit less harsh deprecation notice
for years.

It's time to comment out the modules from there and make those people pay
more attention. If anybody has any last words... :)

--
Josip Rodin
mirrors@debian.org